Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Little Miss Sunshine

Today I was asked if I wanted to goto the cinema to see Little Miss Sunshine, at the time I had no recollection of ever hearing about the film. I decided to say yes and see how it went. Though, before heading off I read the synopsis for the film on IMDb and didn't fancy it.

I have now just returned from the cinema after seeing Little Miss Sunshine and I must say wow, I was really impressed with this film and I am happy that I went. After watching for only minutes I realised I had seen the trailer online months ago and was really excited about seeing it, now I know why I felt like that back then.

Olive is a little girl with a dream: winning the Little Miss Sunshine contest. Her family wants her dream to come true, but they are so burdened with their own quirks, neuroses, and problems that they can barely make it through a day without some disaster befalling them. Olive's father Richard is a flop as a motivational speaker, and is barely on speaking terms with her mother. Her uncle Frank, a renowned Proust scholar, has attempted suicide following an unsuccessful romance with a male graduate student. Her brother Dwayne, a fanatical follower of Nietzsche, has taken a vow of silence, which allows him to escape somewhat from the family whose very presence torments him. And Olive's grandfather is a ne'er-do-well with a drug habit, but at least he enthusiastically coaches Olive in her contest talent routine. Circumstances conspire to put the entire family on the road together with the goal of getting Olive to the Little Miss Sunshine contest in far off California.

Plot Summary for Little Miss Sunshine (2006)


Firstly, the performances were sensational. Steve Carell as the troubled uncle provided some comic relief as well as any funny guy actor can. However Carell's character is not a comic one, and I am impressed that Carell has made a successful jump into a serious dramatic role which brings back memories of Jim Carrey's dramatic roles, and the best of luck to Carell in future projects. I was also really impressed with Paul Dano, playing the son filled with teen angst, Dwayne. Dwayne has taken a vow of silence and Dano plays such a great role considering his character has very little dialogue.

Overall I found the film to be heart-warming and compelling, leaving you with a great feeling as you leave the screening. I really would recommend this film to anyone as I doubt they would be disappointed.

3 Comments:

Blogger somethin leeroyish said...

my heart wasnt warmed, i hate pageants for girls and everyhting they stand for, especially pedo comperes and nazi organisers

12:43 am  
Blogger Jeff's Page said...

Hey,nice blog!!! Won't you check out this website I found where you can
make a little extra on the side... wink wink ;) Visit Our Site

6:16 am  
Blogger somethin leeroyish said...

jeff? whos this joker?

1:41 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home